10 important questions and answers
about the Alpe-Adria-Trail
1. How demanding is hiking the Alpe-Adria-Trail?
A: Easy to moderate. In terms of technique, walking the Alpe-Adria-Trail is not very difficult. There are no stretches that are secured by rope or are exposed, which would require a perfect head for heights. Even on the few stages of a high alpine character (Hohe Tauern National Park and Triglav National Park) there are no technical difficulties. A certain surefootedness is required – walkers need to be able to get around the terrain safely, especially in the rockier passages of the trail.
2. How fit do I need to be to hike the Alpe-Adria-Trail?
A: Compared to the technical challenges, from a fitness perspective in any case the Alpe-Adria-Trail is more demanding. Even though the stages differ signifcantly in terms of the length and the efforts required to walk uphill and downhill, depending on your selected walking tour you will need to be able to tackle the following daily requirements: walking times of up to eight hours a day; ascents and descents with a difference in altitude of up to 1,500 metres, and walking distances of up to 25 kilometres. So a little preparation won’t hurt!
3. Can I also hike the Alpe-Adria-Trail in the opposite direction, from the sea to the glacier?
A: But of course! Although more than 95% of all Alpe-Adria-Trail walkers prefer the direction from the glacier to the sea.
4. Can I ride the Alpe-Adria-Trail by mountain bike too?
A: Unfortunately not! Most of the stretches of the Alpe-Adria-Trail are merely footpaths, on which mountain biking is forbidden by law.
5. How can I find suitable accommodation along the Alpe-Adria-Trail?
A: There are two options:
1) You can look for accommodation on the Alpe-Adria-Trail website under the menu item “Accommodation” or you can book via the Alpe-Adria-Trail Booking Center, which will take over the booking process for you for your desired hiking tour (also see question 10).
Please note: there can be capacity bottlenecks in some stopping places along the way during the high season (July, August)!
6. How can I find places to eat along the Alpe-Adria-Trail?
A: The eating places (chalets, restaurants etc.) that are currently open along the Trail are advertised in the detailed descriptions of the different stages (Menu: Stages) on the Alpe-Adria-Trail website. This and other information can easily be printed out or downloaded as a convenient app.
7. Is camping permitted along the Alpe-Adria-Trail?
A: Unfortunately not! Camping is not permitted in all three countries except for on campsites. This means that an uninterrupted camping/hiking tour along the Alpe-Adria-Trail is not possible, as there is not a campsite at every stopping place along the Trail.
8. Can I walk the Alpe-Adria-Trail with my dog?
A: But of course! And more and more Trail walkers are taking their loyal companions with them.
Three things should be borne in mind above all:
1) Dogs must be kept on a leash for the whole of the Alpe-Adria-Trail! Please bear this in mind!
2) Not all the accommodation establishments accept dogs, so the dog-friendly establishments are shown on the Alpe-Adria-Trail website with a paw symbol.
3) Dog food: the luggage transport offered by the Alpe-Adria-Trail Booking Centre is sure to come in useful here! Otherwise your rucksack could become really heavy.
9. Can I travel to the starting point for my hiking tour with public transport too?
A: But of course! Both by rail and by air. Ideal rail destinations to travel to include Mallnitz, Villach, Velden, Cormòns, Gradisca d’Isonzo or Trieste. Or you can travel by air (in combination with rail, taxi or car hire) via Klagenfurt, Salzburg, Ljubljana, Trieste or Venice.
The ideal arrival point depends on where you want to start your hiking tour along the Trail.
The Alpe-Adria-Trail Booking Center offers a shuttle service from your arrival point to the accommodation you have booked for the start of your hiking tour.
10. What are the benefits of booking via the Alpe-Adria-Trail Booking Center?
A: The Alpe-Adria-Trail Booking Center offers a prize-winning service for individual guests: you can start your hiking tour any day on any stage, and book it for your desired duration.
The service comprises the following package with a best price guarantee:
accommodation in three categories, shuttle services, luggage transport, tour documents, trail hotline and optional services such as guides, travel insurance plus special experience and culinary offers.
However, we hope you will understand that the Alpe-Adria-Trail Booking Center is unable to offer individual services such as luggage transport or shuttle services unless you book overnight accommodation at the same time.